On Tuesday, November 2, 2010, Conestoga hosted its annual "Alumni of Distinction" Reception, held to recognize past graduates and their outstanding achievements. This year’s awards ceremony was held at the new Waterloo Region Museum on Huron Road in Kitchener, with 140 nominees, nominators, family, friends, faculty and staff in attendance.
This year’s 19 nominees for the Alumni of Distinction Award came from seven different categories. These alumni are nominated by their peers, teachers, community leaders, colleagues and friends. They come from a variety of backgrounds and academic achievements, but all have one thing in common, and that is that they’ve distinguished themselves among their peers, as outstanding within their professions, community, or both. The winners included:
- Ingrid Von Cube – Office Systems Operations 1987 (Business)
- Thomas J. Quinn – Recreation and Leisure Services 1970 (Community Service)
- Keith Allen Zehr – Welding Engineering Technician 1985 (Engineering & IT)
- Brenda Halloran – Nursing 1976 (Health Sciences)
- David Shoalts – Print Journalism 1978 (Media and Design)
- Glen Spencer – Automotive Service Technician 1987 (Trades and Apprenticeships)
- Jessica Stovin – Recreation and Leisure Services 2006 (Recent Graduates)
The ceremony was also held to recognize the 2010 Welcome Home Recipients. The Welcome Home Award was created seven years ago by the Alumni Association of Conestoga as a way to financially assist students who have entered their first year of a full-time program at Conestoga. Students receiving this award must have a parent or guardian who’s an alumnus or alumnae of the College. This year 59 recipients were awarded $150, totaling an investment of nearly $9000 by the Alumni Association.
The evening also included a delicious dessert provided by the culinary students of the Waterloo campus and an ice-carved punch fountain provided by Chef Philippe Saraiva, one of the talented chefs who instruct Conestoga's culinary students. The Alumni Association would like to congratulate all of our nominees, award winners, and recipients, and thank everyone who came out to support them and their achievements.